Day 2: Wednesday morning session
Power point of Back Blocking and Butt Joints, the how, what, why, when and where of it.
- What issues came up as a result of installing back blocking and butt joints?
- How should we or can we overcome these?
- What would you do different next time?
- Where are the specifications for this found?
PDF’s of plans on computer and LCD big screen TV
Discussed main features and common information
Sheet numbers, builder’s details, license number and a.b.n., contact details, property address, lot number, north indicator, frontage, set backs, existing of building orientation & position, approval dates and signatures and scale.
Elements of plans
Title box, name of sheet/plan, scales, symbols, measurements and object names (WC etc)
Types, purpose and uses
- Site plans and Artists impressions
- overall, scale 1:200, 1:500, 1:1000
- Floor plans
- Used by W&CLining students
- Scale 1:100 mainly good detail not too small
- Roof detail, ceiling heights, window locations
- Materials used outside, tiles, bricks etc
- Details of hidden structures, roof trusses
- Bulkheads, wall construction elements, etc
- Scale 1:100
- Larger detailed plans of specific complicated important areas, junctions of walls and floor, ceilings and walls, windows, footings, etc Scale 1:20, 1:10
- Hydraulic, roof, wiring, etc
- Plans of specialised details, fire systems, data and electrical wiring, roof structure layout, joists, trusses, etc, scale 1:100
Common symbols, keys and layouts of plans
Symbols are kept as common as possible to all plans to make identifying things simple and recognisable. Layouts too are standardised to help in this also.
Measurements, indicators and sheet types
Brought out “Large Plans” 30 sheets for commercial building, cleared desks and formed a group around them spread out on two desks.
Identify structures, scales, sheet names, builder’s details, North indicators, measurements of rooms, window names and placement, symbols, ceiling heights, fitted cupboards, window details, grid ceiling set up, contour lines and civil works plans,
Discussion lasted approximately 25 minutes just prior to smoko (a time that is usually difficult as students are hungry and restless).
Outcome good initial recognition of elements, symbols, sheet layouts and details, measurements and structures. Maintained focus and interest in-spite of the hunger and caffeine addictions.